Paramahansa Yogananda (1893 –1952) was a great Yogi and Guru, attracted by his followers through his teachings on meditation and Yoga. He was the author of the book ‘The Autobiography of a Yogi’.
Yogananda was born as Mukunda Lal Ghosh in Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh, India, to a Hindu family. During his younger age itself, he met many great sages and saints and discussed with them about spirituality.
After finishing his schooling, for some time he left home and joined an Hermitage in Varanasi.
In 1915, he became a saint and known as Swami Yogananda Giri. In 1917, Yogananda started a school for boys for imparting spiritual education for them.
In 1920, Yogananda went to USA towards giving lectures in spirituality, which was attracted by thousands of people. He also met Mahatma Gandhi.
He was given the title Parmahansa by his Guru, Sri Yukteswar Giri on account of his highest spiritual knowledge. He has described in his book, that once he has seen Lord Krishna directly and received his blessings.
He went to America for conducting spiritual meetings amongst the people on 1952. While he was addressing the meeting, suddenly he died due to heart failure. His followers believe that he reached in a stage of Samadhi, and is still blessing us with his divine power.
HIS FAMOUS LECTURES ARE AS FOLLOWS:-
1. Temples are the place of worship. We should visit temples frequently and to worship the god, and to keep him in our heart.
2. We should realize our inner spiritual energy, and must think that god is always living with us.
3. Spirituality is a must in order to overcome from physical and mental diseases.
4. We have to think highly, in order to reach the top level in our life.
5. Do good things to others, and never speak badly about others.
6. All the religion teaches the same principles such as worshipping god with good faith, and working hard for earning for our livelihood, and not to cheat others and to live honestly, and always showing mercy on others.
7. We have to involve ourselves in doing social welfare activities such as providing food, clothing and housing facility to the poor etc.
Yogananda also taught Yoga concepts to the people for self-realization purpose. He asked to do meditation in order to purify our mind, and to avoid concentrating on unnecessary activities.
He was a great saint and taught the basics of living the life in a proper manner. He was a learned man and contains all good qualities. It is believed that he once met Mahavatar Babaji at Himalayas in a cave, and received his blessings.
He served his Guru Sri Yukteswar Giri in a good manner and received his blessings and divine power. He has reduced the sufferings of the people through his spiritual lectures and helped them to attain spiritual energy.
Let us worship him and be blessed.
“OM SREE PARAMAHANSA YOGANANDARE NAMAHA”