Nanne Choda (12th Century AD) was a famous Telugu poet and he was honoured with the titles Tekanadityudu and ‘Kaviraja Sikhamani’. He is one of the famous ancient bhakti poets.
He was born in a pious Hindu Telugu family. He dedicated his work to the Shaivite saint Sri Jangama Mallikarjuna Yogi.
Nanne Choda’s important work is Kumara Sambavam in Telugu. He was the first writer in Prabhada style and he used the mixture of Sanskrit and Telugu words. He was a doyen in penning beautiful poems, and apart from Bhakti poems, he had written poems on the beautiful scenery, mountains and forests, and he was the admirer of the beauty of the nature. He had introduced new concepts in Telugu literature. He was the worshipper of Lord Shiva and he was also a great devotee of Lord Rama, and wrote many wonderful poems in praise of Rama.
Some of the verses from his poems are as follows:
1. OH! My sweet Rama, where are you? I want to see you immediately. Keep mercy on me and show your divine appearance.
2. The people who lived during the Treta Yuga are the lucky ones.
3. You are the great Lord, and you are showering the grace on your sincere devotees.
4. Rama mantra is very simple to recite. Let us recite it whole heartedly and enjoy the eternal bliss.
5. You have been tied by the clutches of various divine weapons during the war with Ravana. On thinking about that, I am finding it very difficult to digest that incident.
6. Oh! Though you are the incarnation of Lord Vishnu, you have not unnecessarily utilized your powers, and you have utilized it only in times of necessities.
7. Similar to Lord Hanuman, you are living in the hearts of millions and millions of your devotees, and making them to reach your holy feet.
8. I don’t require the perishable things in this life, and I want only the blessings of Lord Rama.
9. The glory of Lord Rama cannot be fully praised by anyone excepting his dear Hanuman.
Let us praise the great poet and be blessed.
“OM SRI NANNE CHODA NAMAHA”