In this list of Paadal Petra Sthalangal temples, there are 275 temples. It is to be remembered that these temples have been in existence for about more than 1000 years.
It is to be highly remembered that three Nayanamars mentioned as Thirunavukarasar, Sambandar and Sundarar has written regarding these particular shrines in Tevaram Hymns that was largely composed and authored by them.
It is to be noted that eminent persons lived between 7th and 9th century A.D. In Tamil Tevaram hymns, Lord Shiva Temples are cited as the Paadal Petra Sthalangal.
Among these 275 Temples, those temples located in Cuddalore are as follows:
In Cuddalore are located:
- Thirupadhiripuliyur Temple is located in Cuddalore
- Thirumaanikkuzhi Temple is located at a distance of 10 km west of Cuddalore
- Thiruthinainagar Temple is located at a distance of 18 km northwest of cuddalore on the north bank of pennaiyar.
- Thiruchopuram Temple is located in Thyagavalli. It is about 20 km south of Cuddalore on the seashore.
- Vadugoor Aandarkoil Temple is located in Villupuram–Pondicherry road, inside the Pondicherry border.
- Nallathur -Swarnapureeswarar Koil Temple is located in Nallathur (Nallaatroor). It is nearly 25 km north east of Villupuram, near the Pondicherry border, 14 km North West of Cuddalore and 16 km south west of Pondicherry.
In these temples, Shivarathri is grandly celebrated with spiritual spirit and religious enthusiasm. Devotees and pilgrims from far and near visit these temples on all Lord Shiva related festive and auspicious occasions and events.