Lakshmy (1820–1904), also called as Kutti Kunju Thankachi, was a female poet, music composer and Malayalam writer, and she was considered as one of the famous women poets in Kerala during her period.She was the daughter of Irayimman Thampi, who was also a famous writer and served as a musician at the court of Swathi Thirunal Maharaja.
She was the author of various devotional poems which was written in praise of Lord Guruvayurappan, a form of Lord Krishna. She was very kind, pious and a chaste woman, and she was an ardent devotee of Lord Guruvayurappan, and it is believed that once Lord Guruvayurappan had appeared before her in the form of small child, and for some time, he played with her.Though she was a Krishna devotee, she also worshipped Lord Shiva in the Shiva temples, and wrote poems in praise of Lord Shiva.
Lakshmy, was born in the year 1820 at the present Kanyakumari district to a pious Keralite Hindu parents Sri Irayimman Thampi and Kalipilla Thankachi. She studied her basic education under the guidance of her father, and she further studied various kinds of arts under a great scholar Sri Kochuppilla Varrier. She was married and had children, and she died in the year 1904.
Lakshmy was known to be the first woman poet and composer of Kerala, and she had gained name and fame during her period, due to her wonderful poems in praise of Lord Krishna, and people used to visit her personally and tell their opinion to her. Everyone had treated her with much respect, and used to affectionately call her as “LAKSHMY MA”. She would melt the hearts of the viewers, when she sang songs in praise of Lord Krishna. She got good knowledge in Sanskrit and music.
Some of the verses from her poems are as follows:
1. Krishna you are my sweet heart and my divine child! You are giving great divine pleasure, through your lovely smile.
2. Krishna please Visit the houses of your devotees, show your divine presence, and make them to feel happiness, and eat your favourite food items made out of butter.
3. At this present Kali Yuga, most of the people are suffering from various problems and they are committing lot of sins in their life. Kindly appear before them and make them to follow the bhakti path.
4. Remove the dreaded diseases and the handicaps of the people by touching them in your tender hands.
5. Oh Krishna! My beloved baby! Please make me to attain your lotus feet after my death.
6. By chanting the Krishna Mantra, all of our worries and sufferings would come to an end.
7. With your thoughts in my mind, I am spending each and every moment of my life in a wonderful manner.
1. Shivaratri Mahatmyam
2. Seetha Swayamvaram
3. Narada Mohanam
4. Thiruvananthapuram Sthalapuranam
5. Vaikom Sthalapuranam
8. Ganga Snanam
10. Bhagavan Krishna