Sri Krishna Bhakti movement was founded by Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, who lived during the 15th century AD, and he was considered as an incarnation of Lord Krishna. Similar to Chaitanya, several Varkari saints like Sant Tukaram, Eknath and Meera Bai, who used to worship Lord Krishna as Lord Vittal / Lord Panduranga, propagated the “KRISHNA BHAKTI” among the masses, and praised the glories of Lord Krishna in the form of songs.
Lord Krishna dwelled in their hearts, and made them to concentrate their entire attention on him. Great saints like Chaitanya Mahaprabhu used to dance in front of Lord Krishna temples, and sometimes he had revealed his true form and appeared as Lord Krishna in front of the devotees.
Lot of Vittal devotees who lived during the 14th and 15th century AD, used to visit the Pandarpur Panduranga Temple, and offered their prayers to the great Lord Panduranga. They didn’t think about food and water, since the thoughts on Lord Krishna itself, filled up their stomach and quenched their thirst.
Varkari saints taught lot of good things to us, which must be followed by us in order to attain enlightenment.
TEACHINGS OF THE VARKARI SAINTS
1. Worship Lord Vittal at Pandharpur, in order to lead a peaceful and prosperous life.
2. Don’t forget to chant the names of Lord Vittal, and keep chanting his names, even at the time of eating, bathing and sleeping.
3. Even the weak would become stronger, poor would become rich, bad people would become good and sick people would turn into healthier by frequently worshipping Lord Vittal.
4. Keep enjoying by seeing the divine beauty of Lord Krishna.
5. Follow the qualities like peace and forgiveness in your life.
6. Embrace the lotus feet of Lord Krishna.
7. Even the divine devas are bowing their heads before Lord Krishna.
8. Krishna is the universal guru, guide and god, who would come with us in our daily life.
9. Bury your worries by having faith on Lord Krishna.
10. Apart from worshipping Lord Krishna, do lot of good activities like providing food to the poor, sick and old aged people.