Arunagirinathar was a great saint, a staunch devotee of Muruga, and a divine poet, who lived during the 15th century in Tamil Nadu. His important spiritual writing was the Tamil poem Thiruppugazh, which was written in praise of Lord Murugan. In Thiruppugazh, his devotion to Lord Muruga has been shown meticulously.
Thiruppugazh is one of the great devotional works of ancient literature, which was widely read by the tamil loving people, and by the devotees of Lord Muruga. It is a general saying that, those who sing Thiruppugazh, their mouth will become sweet. It means “WE CAN FEEL A VERY GOOD DIVINE SENSE WHILE SINGING THIRUPPUGAZH”.
Arunagiri was born during the 15th century in Thiruvannamalai, Tamil Nadu. After his father’s death, he was brought up by his mother and sister. According to legends, Arunagiri was attracted to the worldly pleasures, and after some time he realized his mistakes, and decided to end up his life in the Vallala Maharaja Gopuram located at the Annamalaiyar Temple, Thiruvannamalai. But Lord Murugan appeared before him and prevented him from committing suicide, and showed him the spiritual path, and invoked him to create devotional songs for the benefit of the people. He was also known as Gopurathilayanar, since he was saved by Lord Muruga from the Vallala Maharaja Gopuram.
1. Always apply the holy sacred ash on your body, and keep chanting the divine names of Lord Muruga.
2. Muruga Bhakti cannot be cultivated easily. It can be attained only through constant prayers and by doing rigorous meditation on Lord Muruga.
3. By reciting the name “MURUGA”, I feel as if the divine nectar flows on my mouth.
4. Lord Muruga is known by several names, such as Kanda, Vallimanala, Kadamba, Karthikeya, Senthilandava etc.
5. Lord Muruga looks very beautiful and even the love god Lord Kama Deva cannot compete with him with regard to his divine beauty.
6. Why fear when Lord Muruga’s spear is there to protect you.
7. Don’t get afraid of anything in the world, since the divine peacock of Lord Muruga would act as a guardian to you.
8. Don’t forget the beautiful child Muruga even for a single moment in your life, and let his thoughts come to you even in your dreams.
9. By offering sincere prayers to Muruga, in course of time, we would attain salvation, and would reach the divine abode of Lord Muruga, the Skanda Loka.
10. Since Lord Muruga is born from the third eye spark of Lord Shiva, devotees of Muruga would never suffer from fire accidents and fire burns in their life.
11. Since Lord Muruga was born in the SaravanaPoigai (a kind of divine river) devotees of Muruga would not suffer much from water related diseases like common cold, diabetes, lung infections, and also from all other diseases.
12. Imagine yourself that Lord Muruga frequently visits your home and accepts your offerings, and then on one day, Lord Muruga would really come to your home by taking any other form, and would eagerly accept your offerings.
13. Don’t feel alone, since Lord Muruga is sitting in front of you, and affectionately watching you through his lotus eyes.
14. Consider Lord Muruga as your best Guru, since even his father Lord Shiva had got the divine knowledge from his son Muruga.