Moodami means the darkness in Sanskrit. When the grahas (planets) Brihaspati or Guru (Jupiter) and Shukra (Venus) near the Sun (Surya), the Moodami occurs. The planet which nears the Sun loses its energy and power. The darkness occurs in the time of planetary motion.
There are two types of Moodam in Hindu Astrology – Guru Moodam or Guru Moodami or Guru Lop and Shukra Moodam or Shukra Moodami or Shukra lop.
The auspicious events or Shubhakaryas to be avoided during Moodami are :
1. Digging wells, drilling tube-wells, digging ponds or tanks.
2. Yagna, Yaga, Homa krathuvus, Mantropadesham.
3. Foreign trips, Shaving heads, hair cutting.
4. Devata Pratishta, Teertha Yatra, Shodasha Mahadaanams
5. Upanayanam, Aksharabhyasam, Vidyarambham, Karna Vedha (Ear piercing), Pattabhishekam (Oath Taking ceremony / Swearing in ceremony)
6. Gruhanirmanam (House construction), Vana Sthapana.
7. Vivah (Marriage).
In ‘Moudya Varjitha Karya’ (The avoidable events during Moudyami), there is no mention of other events such as Seemantham, Noothana Vyapara Arambham (Inauguration of new business), etc.