Navadurga or the 9 forms or manifestations of Durga are the nine Goddesses worshipped on nine festive nights during Durga Navratri. Though, the nine manifestations or avatars of Durga that are worshipped during Navaratri may differ from place to place, the standard or primary Navadurga Goddesses remain same for every region.
Goddess Durga is a form of Shakti, the Mother Goddess. Three main forms of Shakti – Mahakali, Maha Saraswati and Mahalaxmi are evolved from the Trimurtis – Lord Shiva, Lord Brahma and Lord Vishnu respectively.
Each of these three main Goddesses gave rise to 3 more manifestations, who are referred as Nav-Durga. On each day of Durga Navratri, one of the Navdurga Goddesses is worshipped.
- Shailputri Mata: First Navdurga Mata, worshipped on first day of Navratri i.e. Ashwin Shukla Pratipada (Kalasha Sthapana / Ghatsthapana). Read more about Shailputri Mata.
- Brahmacharini Maa: Second Navdurga Mata, worshipped on 2nd day of Navratri i.e. Ashwin Shukla Dwitiya (Preeti Dwitiya). Read further on Brahmacharini Mata.
- Mata Chandraghanta: Third aspect of Durga. Chandraghanta is worshipped on third day of Navratri i.e. Ashwin Shukla Tritiya (Sindhura Teej). Read more about Chandraghanta Maa.
- Mata Kushmanda: 4th aspect of Goddess Durga. Kushmanda Maa is worshipped on 4th day of Navratri i.e. Ashwin Shukla Chaturthi. Read about Kushmanda Mata Navdurga.
- Skandamata: Fifth manifestation of Durga Maa. Skandamata is worshipped on 5th day of Navratri i.e. Ashwin Shukla Panchami (Lalita Panchami / Upang Lalita Vrat). Read in detail about Skandamata Navdurga.
- Katyayani Mata: Sixth aspect of Navdurga, Katyayani Mata is worshipped on Maha Sashti, 6th day of Navratri i.e Ashwin Shukla Sashti. Read further on Katyayani Mata Navdurga.
- Kalaratri Maa: Seventh manifestation among Navdurga forms. Kalratri Maa is worshipped on 7th day of Navratri i.e. Ashwin Shukla Saptami (Maha Saptami). Read in detail about Kalratri Mata.
- MahaGouri Mata: Eighth form of Navdurga. Maha Gauri is worshipped on eighth day of Navratri i.e. Ashwina Shukla Ashtami (Durga Ashtami). Read more about Maha Gauri Mata.
- Siddhidatri Mata: Ninth and final aspect of Navdurga Mata. Siddhidatri Maa is worshipped on ninth day of Navratri i.e. Ashwin Shukla Navami (Maha Navami). Read more on Siddhidatri Navdurga Maa.