In the Onam festivity, feasting form the important traditions and culture. The grand feast of Onam is popularly known as Onasadya. It is a vital feature of the celebration. Each and every Malayalee household prepares nearly 13 to 15 curries for Onasadya. It is to be noted that many variations are more tastefully brought about to the existing number of side dishes that is served in Onasadya. One such side dish is Theeyal.
Theeyal is an important dish in all celebrations, marriage feast and other occasion in family. It is very easy to prepare and can be prepared within few minutes.
Theeyal Curry Recipe
1/2 cup Grated Coconut
1 cup Baby Onions
2 tbsp Tamarind Paste
1 tbsp Coriander Seeds
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
7 Red Chilies
1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds
1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
1/2 tsp Sugar
1 pinch Asafetida
7 Black Peppercorns
5 Curry Leaves
3 tbsp Oil
Method of preparation for Theeyal
• In a pan, directly heat one teaspoon oil and sauté coconut until it is light brown.
• Add peppercorns, 5 red chilies, cumin seeds and coriander seeds then fry until it emits an aroma.
• Stir-fry for 2-3 seconds after adding the turmeric powder.
• Keep it aside to cool down then grind into a coarse powder.
• Heat 2 tablespoon oil and then add the remaining red chilies, mustard seeds and curry leaves.
• When the mustard seeds begin spluttering then add onions and asafetida.
• On a medium flame, sauté the mixture for 5 minutes.
• cook for a few seconds after adding ground masala powder
• Add tamarind extract, water, sugar and salt then bring to a boil.
• Simmer continuously for 5-7 minutes. With steamed rice, Serve hot
• Can be served for four.