Pothana (1450–1510) was a Telugu poet and a saint. He translated the Bhagavata Purana from Sanskrit to Telugu through the divine grace of Lord Rama.
Pothana was born into a Brahmin family in Telangana state. He was a great scholar, and was an expert in Telugu and Sanskrit language. His style of writings are very simple, and can be able to understand by the common people.
HIS SPIRITUAL WRITINGS ARE AS FOLLOWS:-
1. Bhogini Dhandakam
2. Virabhadhra Vijayamu
3. Andhra Maha Bhagavatam
While translating the Bhagavatam from Telugu to Sanskrit, it is said, that Lord Rama himself took the form of Pothana, and has completed some portion of his work. Hence, he considered Bhagavatam was the best among his other works, since it was accepted by Lord Rama himself.
The essence of some of his famous quotes are as follows:
1. A bee will fetch honey from the correct flower, which contains honey.
2. A swan swimming in the holy river will not go anywhere else.
3. A bird which sucks the juice of tender leaves will not prefer anything else.
4. Pray with sincere devotion on Lord Krishna and leave all your problems and worries on to the lotus feet of Lord Krishna. Don’t carry too much of burden on your shoulder’s. Give it to the Lord, he is ready to accept it and remove you from your sins. He is the wire puller and having the absolute control over this entire universe.
5. Show your kindness to others, and always speak truth alone.
6. Worship and chant the glory of god.
7. Work is worship.But also worship will help us in doing our work properly.
Pothana was a great worshipper of Lord Shiva and Vishnu, and dedicated his life towards writing poems, and spreading the glory of god among the people. According to him, worshipping god and chanting the names of god will fetch a great benefit to the people. This will also help them towards building a strong foundation for reaching their ultimate goal. Let us pray to this great saint and be blessed.
“OM SREE POTHANA MAHA PURUSHARE NAMAHA”