Maharishi Parashara Jayanti is the first appearance day of Parashara Maharshi, who was a Maharishi and the author of many ancients Hindu texts. In 2018, Maharishi Parashara Jayanti date is April 17.
According to ancients texts, Maharishi Parashara was born or first appeared on Shukla Paksha Pratipada in Vaishakh Month of North Indian Hindi calendars and all other Chandramana calendars. Parashara is accredited as the author of the first Purana, the Vishnu Purana, before his son Vyasa wrote it in its present form. He was the grandson of Vasishtha, the son of Śakti Maharshi, and the father of Vyasa.
There are several texts which give reference to Parashara as an author | speaker. He is the third member of the Rishi Paramparā of the Advaita Guru Paramparā.
Texts attributed to Parashara
- Seer of verses in the Ṛgveda: recorded as the seer of RV 1.65-73 and part of RV 9.97.
- Parashara Smṛiti (also called Parashara Dharma Saṃhitā): a code of laws which is stated in the text (1.24) to be for Kali Yuga.
- Speaker of Viṣṇu Purana considered by scholars as one of the earliest Purāṇas.
- Speaker of the Bṛhat Parāśara Horāśāstra, also written as BPHS. It is considered a foundational text of astrology. The Sanskrit in which it is composed dates to the 7th or 8th centuries CE
- Speaker of the Vṛkṣāyurveda (“the science of life of trees”), one of the earliest texts on botany. This text was considered to be an ancient botany primer for students of Traditional Indian Medicine.
- Krishi parasaram, a book that dealt with agriculture and weeds.