History of Pondicherry Vedapureeswarar Temple

The Arulmighu Vedapureeswarar Temple is located in the heart of Pondicherry town in the union territory of Pondicherry in Southern India. It is situated a bit near the seashore. The main deity of this shrine is Lord Vedapureeswarar and His His consort is Thirupurasundari. According to the Hindu religious scholars and pundits, the historical name of this temple region was popularly known as Vedapuri.

In 1748 in a clash, the temple was was completely demolished. On the other hand, the shrine was about 238 years ago popular and famous in this region. In 1788, the temple was rebuilt by the initiation of Diwan Kandappa Mudaliyar plus active public co-operation. It is to be remembered that the 75 feet raja gopuram perfectly stands attractive and majestically at the entrance of the temple.

In this temple, special pujas, rituals and homams are conducted during the d auspicious religious important days and festival days as per ancient Hindu tradition and culture. Devotees from neighboring state of Tamil Nadu and nook and corner of Pondicherry visit this temple with lot of dedication and devotion.

It is to be highly noted that in the ancient times, this was the spot where Lord Muruga was largely praised in the songs of the renowned spiritual person known as Ramalinga Swamigal.  The primary deity is said to be ‘Swayambu’ in this temple. On the festive days, most of the devotees and pilgrims have a bath or dip in sea and worship in this shrine. According to the local legends, this shrine is wish fuller.

Address: Vedapureeswarar Temple, Pondicherry, Tamil Nadu

Write Your Comment