Asta Dasa Shakti Peethas are the 18 Shaktipeeth temples or prominent & most auspicious temples dedicated to Goddess Shakti. It is believed that these temples are most ancient in Hinduism and considered as the heavenly abodes of the Goddess.
As per the legend of Sati Devi and Daksha Yagna, Goddess Sati’s slashed body parts were fallen all over the places and since then those holy places have become Shakti Peethas.
There are three Shakti Peethas in Andhra Pradesh; two each in Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh and Jammu Kashmir; and one each in Telangana, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Orissa, Assam, West Bengal, and Bihar. Shankari Devi Shakti Peetham is located in Trincomali of Sri Lanka.
List of 18 Most Auspicious Goddess Shakti Temples (Astadasha Shakti Peethas):
- Trincoli or Trincomalee (Srilanka) – Shankari Devi
- Kanchi (Tamil Nadu) – Kamakshi Devi
- Pradyumna (Hugli – Kolkata ) – Shrunkala Devi
- Mysore (Karnataka) – Chamundi Devi
- Alampur (Telangana) – Jogulamba
- Kolhapur (Maharashtra) – Mahalakshmi Devi
- Srisailam (Andhra Pradesh) – Bramaramba Devi
- Mahoor (Maharashtra) – Ekaveera devi
- Ujjaini (Madhya Pradesh) – Mata Mahakali
- Pithapuram (Andhra Pradesh) – Puruhutika Devi
- Jajpur (Orissa) – Girija Devi
- Draksharamam (Andhra Pradesh) – Mata Manikyamba
- Hari Kshetram (Assam) – Mata Kamarupika (Kamakhya Devi)
- Alahabad (Uttar Pradesh) – Madhaveshwari devi
- Jwala (Jammu) – Vaishnavi devi
- Gaya (Bihar) – Mangalya Gauri devi
- Kasi or Varanasi (Uttar Pradesh) – Mata Vishalakshi
- Srinagar (Kashmir) – Mata Saraswati devi (Sharada Peeth in POK)