What to do and what not to do on the day of Surya or Chandra Grahan? Which things one has to perform and which things have to be avoided during Surya Grahan or Chandra Grahan? Here is the list and description of both the questions. Surya Grahan and Chandra Grahan are the most significant days as per Hinduism. During Surya Grahan, Sun losses all his energy after Grahan and regains his lost energy and gathers the whole cosmic energy after the next Surya Grahan.
We can witness many Chandra Grahans (Lunar Eclipses), but Surya Grahans (Solar Eclipses) are very rare. As per the science also, Lunar Eclipse has very less effects on living beings but Solar Eclipse significantly affects the living world.
Avoidable and recommendable works during Surya Grahan and Chandra Grahan:
- It is advisable to avoid performing any important work or deal.
- After Grahan, many Hindus perform ritual bath. Take meal only after the ritual bath. Taking a holy dip in rivers or lakes is highly auspicious.
- Many Hindus observe fasting on the day of Surya or Chandra Grahanam.
- Avoid outside food during grahanam and as well as the whole day.
- Perform ritual bath, Puja, Japam, havan and all other rituals only after Grahan Moksh Kaal (the time when grahan is released).
- Avoid eating at the time of Grahanam.
- Avoid eating the food which is cooked before Grahan. Take the food which is cooked after Grahan. People can eat the food that is prevented from ‘Soothak (Ashouch). To prevent food from Soothak, just spill some til seeds or keep grass blades (Durva grass) on the food before grahan.
- During Surya Grahan, reciting Surya Stotras such as Aditya Hridayam; Maha Mritunjaya Mantram and Vishnu Stotras is highly auspicious.
The stotra given below states the above things:
Sarveshameva varnaanaam soothakam raahu darshane !