Pregnant women are most delicate people to look after at the time of Surya or Chandra Grahan. Many doshams or the bad omen or the fears associated with Grahanam and the pregnant woman. Works to do and works to avoid during this day for pregnant women are mentioned below.
Pregnant women should take some precautions to avoid bad effects of Surya Grahan or Chandra Grahan. Many people believe that only Surya Grahan affects the pregnant woman, but it is advisable to follow the mentionaed precautions on the day of Chandra Grahan also. Mantras to recite on the day of Grahan are given in this post.
Tips for Pregnant Women – What to do and what not to do – What to avoid and what to perform during Surya Grahan or Chandra Grahan:
- The first and foremost precaution that every pregnant woman has to take is to avoid seeing or looking at the Grahanam. Even though, it is visible to naked eye, pregnant women should avoid watching graham.
- Stay at home and go out side during the grahanam.
- There is a strong belief in some Hindus that wearing or tightening saree clips, hair clips or any other pins or clips will be inauspicious. Avoid wearing or tightening clips.
- Avoid cutting vegetables or fruits or any other material. Many Hindus believe that cutting any material will result the pregnant women a cleft organ child.
- In some regions, pregnant women avoid sleeping during the Grahanam.
- For normal and safe delivery, pregnant women recite Santana Gopala Swamy Mantram and Surya Stotras like Aditya Hridayam and other Surya Mantras, Maha Mritunjaya Stotram.
- Santana Gopala Stotra (a mantra to chant during graham by pregnant women) keeps up the health of the pregnant woman as well as the child (Garbhastha Shishu).
- Perform snan (bath) before and after the Eclipse.
Santana Gopala Swamy Mantra – Mantra to chant or recite for pregnant women during Grahan:
Om Devaki Sudha Govinda Vasudeva Jagath Pathe
Dehimey Thanayam Krishna Thwameham Saranamgathe !
Kadhahaa Deva Deva Jagannatha Gothra Vridhi Karap Prabho
Dehimey Thanayam Sheegram Ayushmantham Yashashreenam !!