According to the Hindu religious scholars and pundits, if a person remembers the name of the twelve Jyotirlingas in the early morning and late evening, becomes largely absolved from all types of sins that is committed in seven previous births or past.
The twelve Jyotirlingas are:
1. Somanatha in Saurashtra (Gujarat),
2. Mallikarjuna in Srisaila (Andhra Pradesh),
3.Mahakala in Ujjain (Madhya Pradesh),
4. Omkaresvara in Amalesvara on the banks of Narmada(Madhya Pradesh),
5. Vaidyanatha in Parali (Maharashtra),
6. Bhimasankara in Dakini(Maharashtra),
7. Ramesvara in Setubandhana (Tamilnadu),
8. Nagesa in Darukavana (Gujarat),
9.Visvesa in Varanasi or Banares (Uttar Pradesh),
10. Triyambaka on the banks of Godavari in Nasik(Maharashtra),
11. Kedarnath in Himalayas (Uttar Pradesh), and
12. Ghusrunesa in Sivalaya (Karnataka).
It is also believed by the local legends that those who are residing in southern India can remember the five Jyothirlingam situated in the southern portion of India and all types of sins that is committed in seven previous births or pastcan be absolved.
In Southern India, there are five popular Siva Lingas that is representing as the five elements. They are
1. In Kanjivaram at Tamilnadu and there is situated a Prithvi Lingam.
2. In Tiruvanai Koil at Tamilnadu. There is Lingam is known as Appu Lingam. It is to be noted that the Lingam is always kept in water therefore known as Jambukesvaram.
3. In Kalahasti at Andhra Pradesh and there is Vayu Lingam.
4. In TiruvannamalaiKovil at Tamilnadu. There is Tejolingam (Arunachalesvaram).
5. In Chidambaram (Tamilnadu) and there is Akasa Lingam.