Lord Yama is the god of death, and his consort is Goddess Urmila. Mata Urmila is mentioned in Vedas, Puranas and in the Mahabharata. Urmila was specially created by Lord Brahma, in order to marry her with Lord Yama.
Similar to Lord Yama, Urmila contains great powers, and she is considered as a demi goddess, and lives in the Yama Loka, along with Lord Yama, and her children, Katila and Shobhavati. By worshipping Mata Urmila, we would not get wounded by the attendants of Lord Yama.
Urmila contains golden coloured body, and wears ornaments, and looks very beautiful, similar to Mata Parvati, the consort of Lord Shiva. She is a kind-hearted goddess, and similar to Lord Yama and other Vedic gods and goddesses, she also receives her share of oblation in the Fire Sacrifices. She is believed to be an ancient goddess, and she removes the fear from the mind of her sincere devotees, and gives good prospects in their life.
In the Rigveda, she is praised as follows:
1. Honour the wife of Lord Yama, Goddess Urmila, daughter of Lord Brahma, who is a very pious, noble, and a chaste female goddess, and who shows the path of light to her worshippers.
2. By worshipping Mata Urmila, we would not get death related fear in our mind, and all of our problems would be removed, through her grace.
3. The blessed ones would have the thoughts on Urmila, and they would get her love and kindness, and she gives daily food to them, similar to an affectionate mother.
4. Mata Urmila is the goddess of war and victory. Those who are suffering from enemy related problems are suggested to worship Mata Urmila.
5. Mata Urmila would remove our ego and negative thoughts from us, and gives more spiritual energy, and shows us the spiritual path.
6. By worshipping Mata Shakti Devi, we can please Mata Urmila, since Urmila is an ardent devotee of Lord Shiva and Mata Shakti Devi.
7. Those who suffer from dreaded diseases and from mind related problems are advised to worship Mata Urmila, in order to get relieved from their physical and mental diseases.
8. Without pleasing Mata Urmila, we cannot please the death god Yama, since both Yama and Urmila are considered as one and the same.
9. Oh Devi Urmila! You are worshipped even by the demigods and the great sages, and you are the one, who is giving all sorts of comforts to your devotees, and protecting them from evil forces.
Let us worship Mata Urmila and be blessed.
“OM MATA URMILA DEVIYE NAMAHA”
“OM SRI YAMA DHARMA MAHAPRABHUVE NAMAHA”
“OM NAMAH SHIVAYA”