Thaipusam or Thai Poosam is the Tamil festival observed in Thai month (January – February). In 2013, Thaipusam date is January 27, Sunday. Thaipusam 2012 date was February 7.
Thaipusam festival is celebrated on the day of star Poosam around Pournami day. Thaipusam commemorates the killing of demon Tharakasuran by Lord Murugan. Another legend about Thai Poosam tells the story of the curse given by Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati to Lord Murugan. Thai Pusam 2011 date was January 20.
Thai Pusam is a grand festival celebrated in Tamil Nadu, some parts of Kerala and Karnataka, and all places in the world where Tamil Hindus live in significant populations.
Aru Padai Veedugal (Six most famous temples of Lord Murugan in Tamilnadu):
- Bala Murugan Temple – Tiruchendur, Tuticorin district
- Dandayudapani Murugan Temple – Palani, Dindigul district
- Subramanya Swamy Kovil – Tiruttani, Thiruvallur district
- Swamynathaswamy Temple – Swamymalai, Thanjavur district
- Subramanya Swamy Kovil – Tiruparankundram, Madurai district
- Subramanya Swamy Temple – Palamudir cholai
Some other temples dedicated to Murugan in other states in South India are – Kukke Subramanya Temple in Sri Kshetra in Karnataka, Ghati Subramanya temple near Dodda Ballapur in Karnataka, Skandagiri Subramanya temple in Hyderabad, Subramanya temple in Bikkavolu and Subbaraya temple in Mopidevi in Andhra Pradesh.