It is to be remembered that three Nayanamars named as Thirunavukarasar, Sambandar and Sundarar has written about these shrines in Tevaram Hymns which was largely composed and authored by them. It is to be highly noted that they lived between 7th and 9th century A.D.
In Tamil Tevaram hymns, Lord Shiva Temples are mentioned as the Paadal Petra Sthalangal. In this particular list, there are 275 temples. It is to be remembered that these temples have been in existence for nearly 1000 years.
Among these 275 Temples, those temples located in Panrutti, Tindivanam and Thirukkoviloor are as follows:
In panruti are located two temples. They are Thiruvadhigai temple located at a distance of 2 km in Panruti-Cuddalore road and Thiruthuraiyoor is situated in Thiruthaloor, located at a distance of 10 km northwest of Panrutti
In Tindivanam are located:
- Thiruvakkarai temple is located in tindivanam – mayilam – vaanur – pondicheri road. It is 7 km in the branching road.
- Thiru Arasili temple is located at distance of 2 km in the branching road from thailapuram.
- Ozhindhiapattu temple is located in tindivanam-kiliyanoor-pondicheri road. Irumbaimagaalam temple is located at distance of 30 km southeast of Tindivanam (2 km from Thiru Arasili mentioned above)
- Thiruvaamathur temple is located in Gingee(chenchi) road in the tindivanam – villupuram road. Devotees should take left a little way and proceed 5 km to reach this temple
- Puravaar Panangattoor temple is located in Panayapuram. Tindivanam-vikravandi-panruti road. It is 2 km from Vikravandi