In Hindu Religious History, there exist in large quantities stories related to Lord Vishnus Avataras, that may be Amsavataras (partial manifestations) like Kapila, purnavataras (full manifestations) like Sri Krishna or Avesavataras (temporary infilling of the divine power) like Parasurama.
The minor incarnations of Lord Vishnu are Dattatreya, Dhanvantari, Hayagriva or Hayasirsa, Kapila, Mohini, Nara Narayana, Vyasa and Yajna.
- Dattatreya was the son of sage Atri and his wife Anasuya. He is regarded as the creator of the soma plant and originator of certain magical rites. He was also known as the guru of non Aryan people. He is regarded as the incarnation of the Trinity.
- Dhanvantari is said to rise from the majestic ocean during the time of churning it for obtaining Amrta Kalsa in his hand. This particular lord is regarded as the originator of medical sciences.
- Hayagriva or Hayasirsa is a minor incarnation of lord Vishnu.
- Kapila is the son of Kardama and Devahuti. This deity is related with Agni.Sankhya philosophy was taught by him to his mother.
- Mohini is the only female avatar of Lord Vishnu. During the churning of the ocean, this deity assisted the Deva to get the Amirta Kalsa from the group of Asuras.
- Nara Narayana are the son of Dharma and Ahimsa. They successfully kiiled the demon named Sahasrakavaca (one who has a thousand armours).
- Vyasa was the son of sage Krishna Dvaipayana. The author of the great epic Mahabharata is Vyasa. He has also written the Brahmasutras and all the Puranas (mythologies).
- Yajna is also known as Yajnesa. He is the son of Ruci and Akuti.