The recipes of Keralites, especially of the Onasadya are extremely luscious. Banana Halwa is the favorite relishing dish that is served as sweet to taste. Among the popular sweet dishes of the state such as Achappam, Elayada, Uniyappam, Payasams, the Banana Halwa (Nenthra Pazham Haluva) has a special place in the Onasadya.
Banana Halwa (Nenthra Pazham Haluva) is a relishing Malayalee dish. It is to be noted that coconut plays an important role in onasadya. The same importance is given to banana by the keralites. In Banana Halwa (Nenthra Pazham Haluva), the chief ingredient is banana. It can be easily made and is extremely scrumptious.
While purchasing the banana for making halwa, care should be taken to pick the sweet bananas. It is to be noted that there are sufficient stock of bananas in the open market during the month of onam. This makes Banana Halwa (Nenthra Pazham Haluva) as part and parcel of onasadya.
Banana Halwa Recipe
- 3 medium Bananas, ripe, peeled and mashed
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg, ground
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 tbsp Pure Ghee
Method of Preparation
• Directly heat the ghee in a broad pan.
• Add sliced bananas in the hot ghee and cook in low heat, do stir it well in order to avoid the mixture from sticking to the pan. For 10 minutes cook it and when it turns brown add some more ghee to it.
• Add sufficient sugar and stir continuously until dissolved.
• Add cardamom and nutmeg remove from direct heat.
• Spread halwa in a large plate and allow for cooling and cut it into equal squares.