Dasamahavidya, also spelt as Dus Mahavidya or Dasa mahavidya, are a group of ten aspects of the Divine Mother or Shakti. In Sanskrit, Mahavidya means the great knowledge or wisdom.
The ten Goddesses are known as the givers of great knowledge. Devi Bhagavata Purana describes the importance and spiritual significance of Dasamahavidya.
Here are the names and brief description of Dashamahavidya Goddesses:
- Mahakali: Goddess Mahakali is the most superior of the ten aspects of Mahavidya. She blesses the Sadhak with everything he needs to lead a pleasant life in this world. Swami Ramakrishna Paramahamsa worshipped Mahakali and attained all types of Ashta Siddhis. Goddess Mahakali removes the effects of Shani dosha. She is the supreme deity of Kalikula systems. Read more about Goddess Mahakali
- Tara or Neela Saraswati: Goddess Tara or Goddess Neela Saraswati gives the devotee – the power of speech, the power of destruction of enemies, and salvation. She removes the malefic effects of Brihaspati dosha or Guru graha dosham. Businessmen worship Goddess Tara for best results in their businesses. Read more about Tara Mahavidya.
- Chinnamasta: Goddess Chinnamasta gives the devotee – the power of determination, the strength of straightforwardness, and the courage to fight against anyone. Read more about Chinnamasta Mahavidya.
- Lalita Tripura Sundari (Shodashi): Goddess Lalita Tripura Sundari or Goddess Shodashi posses all the sixteen supernatural powers. She removes the malefic effects of Budha graham (Planet Mercury). She is the supreme deity of Srikula systems. Goddess Lalita Tripura Sundari is considered as Tantrik Parvati. Read more about Tripurasundari Mahavidya.
- Bhuvaneshwari: Goddess Bhuvaneshwari is the ruler of the world. She blesses the devotee with success in all fields of life. Lord Sri Rama worshipped Goddess Bhuvaneshwari before going to war against Ravana. She removes the malefic effects of Chandra Graha (Chandra Dosha). Read more about Bhuvaneshwari Mahavidya.
- Tripura Bhairavi or Kala Bhairavi: Goddess Tripura Bhairavi or Goddess Kala Bhairavi gives the devotee – the power to attain everything in life and triumph over the sensual desires. Read more about Tripura Bhairavi Mahavidya.
- Dhumavathi: Goddess Dhumavathi is the smoky form of Shakti. Usually she is depicted as an eternal widow or Shakti without Shiva. She is also called as Alakshmi. Goddess Dhumavathi gives her devotee to protect himself with black magic from anyone. She removes the malefic effects of Rahu Graha (Rahu graha dosham). Read more about Dhumavathi Mahavidya.
- Bagalamukhi or Pitambari: Goddess Bagalamukhi or Goddess Peetambari frightens the enemies of her devotees. Those who are suffering from court cases of legal cases can worship her for victory. She removes the malefic effects of Planet Mars or Kuja graha dosham. Read more about Bagalamukhi Mahavidya.
- Matangi: Goddess Matangi Mata is also known as Tantrik Saraswati who fulfills every desire of her devotees and blesses them with prosperity. Those who are suffering from stuttering and from domestic affairs or family problems can worship her for peaceful life. Lord Shiva is also known as Matang. Read more about Matangi Mahavidya.
- Kamala: Goddess Kamala is also known Tantrik Lakshmi. She blesses her devotees with all types of wealth and removes the malefic effects of Planet Venus (Shukra Graha dosham). Read more about Kamala Mahavidya.