Telangana government will distribute nearly 1.04 crore sarees to BPL women from Monday, 18 September 2017, marking the celebration of Bathukamma festivities.
Telangana government will distribute nearly 1.04 crore sarees to BPL women from Monday, marking the celebration of Bathukamma festivities.
Bathukamma is floral festival celebrated by Hindu women of Telangana for nine days starting Bhadrapada Amavasya (also known as Mahalaya Amavasya or Pitru Amavasya) till Durgashtami, usually in September-October.
After the formation of new state, Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao declared Bathukamma as state festival and government is spending good money in promotion and celebration of this festival across the state.
Marking the festival this year, sarees will be distributed from September 18 to 20.
INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT THE SAREES:
- Around 1,04,47,610 sarees worth Rs 222 crore will be distributed to BPL women.
- Every woman aged 18 years and above, hailing from a family holding white ration card, is eligible to receive Bathukamma saree.
- Of the total, around 52 lakh sarees were procured from Telangana weavers.
- Due to shortage of time, the remaining sarees were procured from Surat and other cities.
- From next year, govt will procure all sarees from Telangana weavers.
- Bathukamma sarees order from the government provided work to more than two and half months to weavers in Sircilla, providing business of over Rs 70 crore.
- Sarees are in over 500 designs and colours.
- Nearly 7.5 crore metres of cloth was utilised for the purpose.
- Women officials from CMO took special care in selecting designs, colours and quality of sarees to suite the tastes of women across the State.
- District Collectors across state has established special distribution centres in both rural and urban areas for this ‘free festival gift’ to the people by the Telangana CM KCR.
Courtesy – India Today.