A delicious dish of Kerala is Avial. It is a type of mix vegetable recipe. It is scrumptious to taste and easy to make within few minutes. This dish is really fulfilling and very nutritious. With varieties of rice, avial is normally a side dish that is served hot.
Avial basically contains many kinds of vegetables cooked with light spices. This dish is cooked on sim flame. It is to be noted that according to certain region and the taste of the family, the choice of vegetable varies. In most of the regions of Kerala, turmeric is used in avial. In the Malabar region, the use of turmeric is usually avoided.
In all celebrations and festivals in Kerala, Avial is generally considered to be a vital recipe. Those who are vegetable lovers, it is the perfect dish to be relished.
Avial Recipe – Ingredients
- 1 finely-grated Coconut,
- 1 tsp roasted Urad Dal
- 1 tsp roasted Channa Dal
- 2 Green Chilies
- 1/4 tsp Asafetida (heeng)
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
Assortment of Vegetables, cut and well diced (excluding beetroot, salad and leafy vegetables)
- Perfectly blanch the diced vegetables and keep it aside for later use.
- Grind urad dal, channa dal, green chillies to a paste and asafoetida.
- Add the grounded paste in the heated ghee in a separate shallow pan.
- Till it emit fragrance fry lightly.
- Sauté it over a low flame and add the grated coconut.
- Add all the blanched vegetables and rightly cook till done.
- Add a pinch of salt to taste.
- Serve hot.