11 Tips to Handle Criticism.. Here are the 11 Tips to Handle Criticism as said by Sri Sri Ravishankar Guruji at his Satsang, Art of Living.
If someone criticizes you, welcome it! If there is some substance in it, take it. If the criticism is coming out of jealousy, frustration, or anger, it is good to practice indifference. Don’t lose your equanimity.
If someone criticizes you and you counter it by criticizing them, then the chain continues. Instead, thank them for their kind words and see what happens. The day you drop your defenses, the other person will not know how to respond.
3. If someone is giving you constructive criticism, welcome it! They are taking the risk of losing your friendship and giving you criticism.
4. Don’t defend your mistakes. Just accept them and move on. When you are totally defenseless, that’s when you’ll be strong.
5. Every time you face criticism, know that you are vast like the ocean and you can take in anything. When you feel small, that is when you don’t feel like taking criticism. When you feel very big, then you think, “I am much bigger than this criticism, let me take it in.”
6. Know that people are there to help you in the world. Don’t see people as enemies. The foolish will look at the world as filled with hostile people. The wise will look at the world as filled with friends, and think that people are there to help.
7. Smile not only when compliments are given, but when you are criticized too. A person of true patience and courage is one who can respond to any insult or criticism with an unshakeable smile. Unjust criticism should also be taken with a smile. To begin with, you may feel very uncomfortable, but there will be a shift in you, with which you will be so amazed.
8. Respond to criticism with humor and wit. If you get angry with someone who taunts you, then that is not intelligent behavior. The sign of intelligence is to transform an unpleasant situation into a pleasant one. One who looks for pleasantness even in unpleasant or unfavorable situations is truly an intelligent person.
9. If somebody is talking negatively about you, they are dumping garbage. You should not hold your gunny bag and catch it. When somebody is dumping garbage, you simply move away from there. Don’t take it in.
10. Have the ability to give constructive criticism from a happy, calm mind and be able to take constructive criticism from the same mind. This will transform your ego.
11. If anyone anywhere humiliates you, know that it is only a plan to soften you. It is a blessing.