Bhadrapada masam or Bhadrapada month is sixth month in traditional Telugu calendar followed in Andhra Pradesh. In 2012, there are two Bhadrapada Masams: Adhika Bhadrapadam & Nija Bhadrapada Month. Nija Bhadrapada maasam 2012 starts on September 17 and ends on October 15 as per Telugu panchangam. Adhika Bhadrapada Masam was from August 18 to September 16.
Bhadrapada maasam is considered inauspicious for Gruhapravesham, marriages, engagements, and all other auspicious functions. It is considered as Shunya Masam.
In Bhadrapada month as per Telugu panchangam Vinayaka Chavithi (Ganesh Chaturthi), Rushi Panchami, Ananta Chaturdashi Anantha Vratham, Pitru pakshalu or Mahalaya paksha, and Shraddha Amavasya are the important festivals. Ganapati Navaratri utsavam is the major festival celebrated in Andhra Pradesh cities such as Hyderabad, Visakhapatnam (Vizag), Vijayawada, Warangal, etc. Khairatabad Ganesh idol is the world famous Ganesh idol which holds the record of Mammoth Ganesh vigraha.
- Shukla Paksham in Adhika Bhadrapada masam 2012 in Telugu calendar starts on August 18 and ends on 31 August 2012 .
- Krishna (Bahula) Paksham in Adhika Bhadrapadi month 2012 in Telugu panchangam starts on September 1st and ends on September 16th.
- Shukla Paksha in Nija Bhadrapada Masam begins on September 17 and ends on September 30, 2012.
- Bahula Paksham in Nija Bhadrapada Masam starts on October 1st and ends on October 15, 2012.
It is to note that in Tirumala Tirumala Venkateshwara swamy temple, Salakatla Brahmotsavam will be held in Bhadrapada masam. This Brahmotsavam starts on September 17 and ends on September 26. Navratri Brahmotsavam, celebrated in October 2012, is different from this.
Here is the list of festivals dates and auspicious days in Telugu Bhadrapada Month 2012:
- Gauri Thadiya – 18th September 2012 – 16 Kudumula Thadde vratham or Shodashoma Vratham
- Ganesh Chaturthi – 19th September 2012 – Vinayaka Chavithi
- Rushi Panchami – 20th September 2012
- Radhastami – 23 September 2012 – Durvashtami or Jyeshtashtami
- Parsva Parivartana Ekadashi – 26th September 2012 – Vamana Jayanthi
- Ananta Chaturdasi – 29th September 2012 – Ananta Vratam – Ganesh Nimajjanam
- Bhadrapada Pournima – 30 September 2012 – UmaMaheshwara Vratham
- Pitru Pakshalu starts – 1 October 2012 – Mahalaya Pakshalu or Shraddha pakshalu
Next month in Telugu calendar is – Ashwayuja masam (Ashwina maas or Asvin Mahina or Aswayuj maas).