1. All Brahmins have to understand their Dharma and follow it to the best of their ability.
2. A Brahmin should not sleep at dawn and dusk
3. We should definitely do ‘Sandhya Vandhanam’ which is a daily ritual
4. Men should do rituals wearing a white dhothi and white upper cloth.They should not wear coloured cloth at that time
5. Ladies should not chant Veda Manthras
6. When doing rituals, men should wear Pancha Kacham and Uthareeyam
7. Married Women when they light the lamp should wear 9 yards Sari(madi saar)
8. The cloth, slippers, meals plate, bed and garland worn by a person should not be used by others.
9. Except at times when after death rituals dictate wearing wet cloths, it should not be worn.
10. No lady should keep the tip of her hair not tied unless the priest tell.
11. Every individual should keep a separate water pot
12. All rituals should be done on land never upstairs
13. There are two types of Karmas -Nithya (daily) and Naimithika( due to some reason)
14. If we do not do sandhya vandhanam, it is a sin
15. If a person does not do Sandhya Vandanam , all the other rituals he does , does not have any use.
16. Sradha should be performed bysons individually
17. While performing any ritual , in the middle you should not talk
18. The Sradha of Father and mother should be done as per rules
19. From childhood, children should be taught rules of religion as well as rituals of day today life
20. We should avoid living a life of Luxury
21. No ritual would give results without our physical involvement
22. We have to follow our Dharma and protect it
23. From the temple we should not bring Prasada except things like sacred ash, kumkum, Thulasi and Vilwa leaf
24. Grahasthas should do Oupasana atleast in two pakshas of the year.They should do Sthaleepaka on Prathama
25. Since we are descendents of sages, we should follow the smrithis found out by them
26. We do not have power to alter Sruthi or Sastra
- Dharma sastras are thereseparately for men, women , children , sick people as well those who are not Brahmins,
28. Our religion prohibits Divorce of men and women under all circumstances
29. If a man realizes that the wife he has married as per Dharma has a defect or disease , the person can marry again but look after her in his home.
- After doing after death ritesof mother and father or observing ten day taint for our Dhayadhi(Paternal relations) , men should shave on the tenth day.
31. The rituals as per sasthras can only be done at the ground floors
32. Only after she shaves the head after her husband dies, the death traint of her husband leaves her.When they are like this they are prohibited from going to temple, chant manthras etc
- Crematinga dead body of orphan , worshipping Shiva linga which has no body to worship it and helping the poor and blind destroys all the sins you might have committed
34. Any house where no sound of chanting of Vedas are heard . where no rituals are performed and which is not visited by Vedic Scholars is equal to cremation ground
- If we wash the cloths after bath and dry itand wearit next day, only Nithya Karmas can be performed
36. For other Karmas specially Sradha , we have to take bath , wash cloth , dry it and wear the same day
37. A dried cloth which has seen two suns., should not be used for doing Karmas
38. We should never find fault with those who have learnt Vedas
39. Gas stove should not be used for rituals
40. WE should understand the ritual we are doing and perform it with full faith and attention
- The priests should learn DharmaSastras well and then only help in conducting it
42. When a priest gets done a ritual against Dharma Sastras , the sin would come to him via DAkshina which they take
43. A person only doing Nithya Karmas is better than those who learn Vedas and Sastras but never use it.
Thanking Shri PR Ramachander for this post.