Ugadi Pachhadi (Telugu) or Bevu Bella (Kannada) is a special recipe is prepared and eaten on Ugadi festival in Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka. It symbolizes six tastes or flavors of life.
The mixture of Shadruchulu or 6 various tastes signifies six different experiences in life – sadness, happiness, anger, fear, disgust, and surprise. Eating the special recipe on Ugadi tells us to accept the life with equanimity through the year to come.
Significance of Ugadi Pachchadi’s 6 tastes and ingredients
- Neem flowers – bitterness signifies sadness
- Jaggery – sweetness symbolizes happiness
- Pepper – hot signifies anger
- Salt – saltiness signifies fear
- Tamarind – sourness symbolizes disgust
- Mango – tang symbolizes surprise