Karthika Somavaram Shiva Puja (Shiva Puja on Mondays in Kartik month) begins on October 24, 2014 in Shiva temples of Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka.
It is to note that Shravan Somvar vrat (Mondays in Shravan month) is observed with utmost devotion in Shiva temples of North India.
In Shakti Peethas, Jyothirlinga temples, Pancharama temples, and other major temples of Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka celebrate Karthik masa special pujas throughout the month. Next Karthika somvaram vratham dates are – October 27, November 3, November 10 and November 17.
Special pujas are performed to Lord Mallikarjuna swamy in Srisailam temple. It is one of the only two Jyothirlinga temples of South India. Another Jyothirlinga temple in South India is Rameshwaram Shiva temple.
Pancharama temples (Pancharamas) are the best places to visit during Karthika masam. Sahasra Kalasha Archana, Kumbhabhishekam, Sahasra kumbha Abhishekam, Laksha Deeparadhana, etc. are special rituals held in Kartik month.
Pancharama temples in Andhra Pradesh are:
- Amararamam – Bala Chamundika ammavaru sametha Sri Amaralingeshwara swamy temple in Amaravathi.
- Draksharamam – Manikyamba ammavaru sametha Sri Bhimeshwara swamy temple in Draksharama.
- Somaramam – Sri Ksheera Rajarajeshwari sametha sri Someswara swamy temple in Bhimavaram.
- Ksheeraramam – Parvathi sametha Sri Ramalingeshwara swamy temple in Palakollu.
- Bhimaramam – Bala Tripurasundari sametha Sri Kumara Bhimeshwara swamy temple in Samarlakota.
Other famous Shiva temples that host jubilant Karthika masa pujas are – Keesara Ramalingeshwara swamy temple, Srikalahastiswara swamy temple in Sri Kalahasthi, Mahanandi Sri Mahanandishwara swamy temple, Kaleshwaram Mukteshwara swamy temple, Vemulawada Rajarajeshwara swamy temple, etc.
Famous Shiva temples in Karnataka that celebrate Karthika masa pujas are – Dharmasthala Sri Manjunatha swamy temple, Mahabhaleshwara swamy temple in Gokarna, Murudeshwar Shiva temple, etc.