It is to be highly noted that Lord Shiva Temples are glorified as the Paadal Petra Sthalangal in Tamil Tevaram hymns. In this particular list, there are 275 temples. It is to be remembered that these shrines have been in successful existence for approximately 1000 years.
It is to be noted that 3 Nayanamars – Thirunavukarasar, Sambandar and Sundarar has largely referred about these temple in Tevaram Hymns that was authored and composed by them. These poets lived between 7th and 9th century A.D.
Among these 275 Temples, those temples located in Kancheepuram are 8 in number and they are scattered in and round Kanchipuram.
Paadalpetra Sthalangal in Kancheepuram is as follows:
- Thirukachi Ekambam (Ekambaranathar Temple) is located in the heart of Kanchipuram. The temple tower is visible long before devotees reach Kancheepuram because it is the tallest there.
- Thirumaagaral temple is located at a distance of 16 km south in Kancheepuram-Uthiramerur road.
- Kuranganilmuttam temple is located at a distance of 7 km in Kancheepuram-Cheyyar road. It is to be noted that one should reach Thoosi and proceed 2 east to reach this shrine.
- Thiruppanangadu temple is located at a distance of 10 km from kancheepuram on the south bank of Palar.(kancheepuram-iyengarkulam-tirupanangadu).
- Thiruvothur temple is located at a distance of 30 km southwest of Kancheepuram. On the banks of Cheyyar river.
- Thirumarperu temple is located at a distance of 12 km northwest of kancheepuram (kancheepuram-arakkonam road, 5 km from thirumarperu railway station).
- Thiruveeral temple is located at a distance of 17 km in Kancheepuram – Arakkonam road.
- Tiruvallam temple is located at a distance of 12 km east of Katpadi, 50 km from Kancheepuram.