Kottiyoor Temple, also spelt as Kottiyur temple, is the most famous Shiva temples in Kerala. Kottiyoor, located in Kannur district, is known as Dakshina Kasi (Kasi or Varanasi of South India). Vaisakha Maholsavam is an annual festival held at Kottiyoor Shiva temple during the months of May and June. In 2010, the 28-day festival began on May 21, 2010, will end on 21 June 2010.
Vaisakha Maholsavam begins with Neyyattum ritual on Swati day in Edavam month and ends with Thrikkalashaattu. Thiruvonam Aradhana, Elaneer Vayppu, Revathi Aradhana, Rohini Aradhana, and Attham Kalasha Puja are the main rituals celebrated during the festival Vaisakha Maholsavam in Kottiyur Shiva temple.
Here are the dates of major events in Kottiyoor Vaisakha Maholsavam in 2010:
- 12th June 2010 – Rohini Aaradhana
- 13th June 2010 – Thiruvathira Chathu Satham
- 14th June 2010 – Punartham Chathu Satham
- 16th June 2010 – Aayilyam Chathu Satham
- 17th June 2010 – Makam Kalam Varavu (after 12.00 PM No Entry for Ladies)
- 20th June 2010 – Attham Kalasha Pooja
- 21st June 2010 – Thrikkalashaattu