Akshaya Tritiya (Akha Teej, Akhatrij) is an auspicious day in Hinduism. It falls on third day of bright half of Vaishakh month, Shukla Paksha Tritiya in Vaishakh month (April – May). It is considered as one of the Sade Teen Muhurat (3 and a half best muhurats) in Hindu Astrology. Devotees consider it as an auspicious occasion to buy gold, silver, and to purchase any other valuable assets like cars and properties. In 2020, Akshaya Tritiya date is April 26. Read more about Akshaya Tritiya 2020 here.
As per the Hindu traditions and religious scriptures, Akshaya Tritiya is the best day to offer donations, start any important venture, and other sacred deeds.
Lakshmi Puja, Gauri Puja, Vishnu Puja, Sri Krishna Puja, and Tulsi Puja are the best rituals to observe on Akshaya Tritiya. Parasurama Jayanti and Balarama Jayanti are also celebrated on this day in some places.
The most famous pilgrimage for Hindus – Chardham Yatra begins on this day. Yatra to Gangotri Temple, Yamunotri Temple, Badrinath, and Kedarnath temples of Uttaranchal (Uttarakhand) is known as Chardham Yatra.
- Akshaya Tritiya is also famous for marriages, Gruhapravesh ceremonies, and other auspicious events. Thousands of marriages are held on this day throughout India.
- It is believed that Satya Yuga, Golden Age and Treta Yuga started on this day. According to Puranas, this day marks the beginning of the Treta Yug.
- On this day the Sun and Moon are at their peak of brightness.
- Ved Vyaasa dictated and Lord Ganesha started to write the Mahabharata on this day.
- Parashurama, the personification of Valour and the sixth Incarnation of Vishnu was born on this day.
- Goddess Vijaya Chamundeshwari killed Asura on this day.
- Lord Krishna gave Draupadi a bowl called Akshaya Patram.
- On Akshaya Tritiya the Pandavas unearthed weapons for victory.
- Rishabhdev was the first Tirthankara of Jains. It is believed that Rishabha invented pottery, painting, sculpture.
- According to Lakshmi Tantram, Sri Bhagwan prayed to Maha Laxmi on this day.
- The sun is the strongest from April 14 to May 15, when it is exalted.
- Maa Ganges descended to the earth from the heaven on this day.
- Barley, one of the main ingredients for homa, which is the yuga dharma of Treta Yuga, was also created on this day.
- Sudama or Kuchela visited Lord Krishna in Dwarka with a handful of beaten rice (poha or aval) on this day.
- Kubera Lakshmi Puja and Padmavati Pooja are performed for mental peace, business and wealth. Lord Vishnu is worshipped with recital of Vishnu Sahasranama stotram.
- Fasts, charity, a dip in the Sacred Rivers like the Ganga are undertaken. Worship Lard Vasudeva with rice grains. Worship Lord Ganesha & Devi Lakshmi on this day. Pray to one of the Astadikpalakas Sri Bhawan Kuber today. Perform Mahalaxmi Anushtaan.
- Perform shatru shanti anushtaan so that enemies never trouble you again. Recite anang mantra jaap to improve health and to reduce impotency problems.
- Perform Sadashiv pooja with neem leaves, these leaves when placed under a sick man’s pillow are believed to cure the illness.
- Recite Mahamritunjaya mantra or perform Rudra Havan.
“Om Yakshyaya Kuberaya Vaishravanaaya Dhanadhanyadi Padayeh
Dhana-Dhanya Samreeddhing Me Dehi Dapaya Swaha”
Om Hreem Yakshaya Kuberaya Vaishravanaya Dhana Akarshanaya
Sarvaloka Vasigaraya Dhana Dhanya Adhipataya Dhana Dhanya
Samrudhime Dehi Tapaya Swaha
” Om Hreem Shreem Hreem Kuberay Namah”” OM Shreem OM Hreem Shreem Kleem Shreem Viteshwaray Namah”
Om yakshaya Kuberaya Vaishvaranaya
Dhana Dhanyathi Pathayae
Dhana Dhanya Samruthime
Dehi Tapaya swaha!
Om Shreem Hreem Kleem Shreem Lakshmir Agach Agacha Mama Mandir
Tishtha Tishtha Swaha
The puja starts in the morning and ends in the evening. If possible perform this pooja for 108 days to remove financial troubles Or you can recite Kuber laxmi moola mantra for 108 days. A photo of Goddess Lakshmi Devi along with Sudarsana Kubera Yantra could be used for the puja. The moola mantra as follows:
Kubera Twam Danadeesam Gruha Te Kamala Sithta
Tam Devem Prehayasu Twam Madgruhe te Namo Namah.
- Akshaya Tritiya is also called Navanna Parva.
New beginnings like weddings, business ventures, new deals, new audit books, business trips are considered to bring luck. Valuables bought on this day, such as gold is deemed auspicious. It is believed that gold multiplies if bought on this day.Akshaya Tritya is an occasion known for bringing communities together. The day is considered auspicious by Hindus and Jains for the purchase of gold, an expression that in some ways is indicative of wealth, beauty and joy. In Rajasthan, the day is called Aakha Teej and is considered very auspicious for weddings as well.
The day is generally observed by fasting and worship Lard Vasudeva with rice grains. The day gains more importance when it falls on a Monday or under Rohini Star.
A dip in the Ganges on this day is considered to be very auspicious.
Akshaya Tritiya is also called Navanna Parvam. This day also happens to be Parusurama Jayanti. Akshaya Tritiya falling on a Rohini star day is considered more auspicious. Needless to say, this rare occasion comes this year. Lord Kubera, considered to be the richest, is one amongst the Astadikpalakas. Lakshmi Tantram says that this Lord will himself pray to Goddess Lakshmi on this day.