Durga Navratri or any Navratri Puja has some vrat niyamas or basic rules or codes to follow. Those who follow these rules during Durga Navratri will be blessed with prosperity and happiness. Here is a list of rules or code which can give you an idea on Navratri vrata niyamas:
- Maintain neatness in puja place.
- Avoid eating non-vegetarian food during Navratri vrat.
- Make a timetable for puja and follow that.
- Avoid entertainment and other recreational activities as much as possible.
- Avoid Maithuna (Sexual activities) during Navratri.
- Charity is the main aspect of Navratri. Do charity and donation as much as you can.
- Food charity is the main thing of this puja. Kumari Puja, Suhasini Pooja and Brahmin santarpana has to be performed during Vrata. Atleast a single Kanya or suhasini should be fed.
- Spend as much as time in Devi prarthana (in chanting devi stotra).