Vaishakh maas or Vaishakh mahina is the seventh month in traditional Hindu Gujarati calendar followed in Gujarat. In 2010, Vaishakh mahina comes twice – Adhik Vaishakh mas and Nija Vaishakh maas. Nija Vaisakh maas 2010 will begin on May 14th and end on June 12. The similar calendar is followed in Andhra Pradesh, Kannada and Maharashtra. Vaisakhmaas is dedicated to Lord Vishnu and is also known as Madhav Maas in Vaishnava calendar.
Vaishakh Snan is an important ritual observed during Vaisakh mahina. Special Vaisakh mahina pujas are performed in many famous temples dedicated to Lord Vishnu (Lord Krishna) in Gujarat.
- Vaishakh Sud Paksh in 2010 starts on May 14 and ends on May 27.
- Vaisakh Vad Paksh in 2010 begins on May 28 and ends on June 12.
Akshaya Tritiya, Narasimha Jayanti (Nrusing Jayanti), and Buddha Purnima (Maha Vaishakhi) are the major festivals in Vaisakh maas.
Major Festivals in Vaishakha masa 2010:
- Akshay Tritiya – May 16, 2010 – Akha Teej – Parasuram Jayanti
- Sankara Jayanthi – May 18, 2010
- Ganga Saptami Ganga Puja – May 20, 2010
- Mohini Ekadashi – May 24, 2010
- Vaishakh Purnima– May 27, 2010 – Maha Vaishakhi
- Shani Jayanthi – June 12, 2010 – Shaneeshwara Jayanthi
In Hindi calendars followed in North India, Nija Vaishakh month 2010 begins on April 29th and ends on May 27th.