Home Forums Hinduism Why Hindus avoid Onion, garlic during festival season?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  prashant 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Mohan

Because its tamsic food.hindu only eat satvik food during festivals

Suresh

In Hindu religion, foods are categorized into 3 Categories..

1st Category:- ‘Saatvik’ or one that helps to generate good thoughts. 2nd Category:- is food that generats lazy kind of thoughts’ 3rd category:- is the food that help to create ‘Tamasik’ thoughts or bad or negative thoughts.Onions and Garliks comes under 3rd category.Now festival days are to be observed with ‘purity of soul and thoughts’ and Onion and garlics do not fit as food during these days. So Hindus avoid them.

Tamsik food is avoided by women on Festival Days

Raghu

Not all Hindus do it.And they are not outlawed too for that.

However, the people who care to do it, do it as conventional religious taboo. For them it is their endeavour to remain as purified as possible during the religious festive days, so that they may earn more godly rewards.

Such religious taboos do not necessarily find any mention in the religious scriptures. But such taboos are originally imposed with good intention by the people who are the recognised some bodies of different sects of the main religion and gradually these taboos take the shape of religious practices.

There are no specific reasons and Rules for Hindus not to eat Onions and Garlic at Festival Days

Rakesh

During Upvaas normally onion and garlic are avoided as these are tamasic foods.

We are now aware of onion being recognized for arousing sexual desire and perhaps same for garlic.

During Upvaas, anything that would keep us away from God would be avoided as that is the purpose of Upvaas.

They are vegetables fine, but not all vegetables are suitable for Upvaas.

To avoid both Sexual Desire and Bad thoughts Women will not eat Onion on Upavasa and Festivals Day

naresh

onion and garlic are usually used for cooking while preparing spicy food. spicy food is supposed to arouse ones passion , desire and make one highly energetic. 

And during festivals, people fast and pray too . So one should be very calm and cool at Upavasa day and should continue their Dhyanam towards God.
    So to be calm and quiet on Upavasa day women usually avoid Onion and Garlic.

so , i think , this may be the main reason why majority of hindu people avoid onion and garlic during festival season.

shanker

Onion and Garlic creates  violant thoughts or give strength to existing ones. We cant enjoy the peace of worship by eating Onion and Garlic.

It regenerates our strength and makes us excited.

So Hindus avoid Onion and Garlic on Festival days to enjoy the peace in worshippng the god

Doosri Radha (Krushnapriya) alias Baba Krushnananda

JAYA JAYA SHRI KRUSHNA!
    Onion and garlic are good for health. But, being tamasic, these are forbidden for people on religious occasions. The Sadhakas completely stop this. The devotees also do not eat these as a matter of principle. Our scriptures do have rules of what to eat and not eat. There is a small book published by Gita Press, Gorakhpur, U.P., India titled ‘Kya Karen, Kya Na Karen’. This book contains rules about food items also. If I find the book, I may give further details. Blessings to all! HARI BOL!

Doosri Radha (Krushnapriya) alias Baba Krushnananda

JAYA JAYA SHRI KRUSHNA!

With reference to my post dated 11 Mar. 2013, the book is now with me. It is in Hindi, titled “Kya Karen, Kya  na Karen” (Achar Samhita) by Rajendra Kumar Dhavan; published by Gita Press, Gorakhpur and priced ₹18.00 only. The book is very informative and gives source-references to each point. Regarding garlic and onion etc. it says on page 75, serial 16, ” Lahsun, Pyaj, Gajar, Shalgam, Kukurmutta, Safed baigan, Lal muli aur apavitra sthan (shamshanadi) me utpann shak jatyaa dushit hain aur dwijatiyon ke liye abhaksha hain.” The source is Manusmriti-5/5 and Bhavishya Purana-186/22.  So, one can see how elaborate and specific are our religious teachings. Blessings to all. This is for universal good (Jagat Kalyan). HARI BOL!

Bangaru

Can I get an English version of the. Above book mentioned

yssubramanyam

they have more stimulating effect on our hormones which may divert our attention from devotion.

Maanoj

Don’t know the Will of Gods. India is 72% Hindu. The Hindus worshiping 330 million Gods & Goddesses. Following so many rules while worshiping. We don’t eat onions derived from a Plant but We drink milk given by an Animal. We don’t eat Fish but we eat Fish Liver oil Capsules. We don’t eat Eggs but we eat Cakes. We don’t eat Meat of Animals but we can eat meat of  Plant Lives. So the Equation gets Balanced.

Looking at the Prosperity of Developed countries of EU, US, Aus, Rus, China, etc. and looking at their Daily Breakfast Menu, We can go back to square one to Think what really is the Will of Gods. I think it is the Karma that matters & not the Food Menu.

ranjt

Onion and garlic are vegetable but they are unacceptable by women in festival season….Whats the reason behind it?? Hindus avoid Onions & garlic during Navratri, Shravan Month and Kartik Month, what is the reason for this.

archana prium

I had always been a someone living life in full swing, studies, work, sports, bharata natyam, classicaln modern dance, trekking, travel, pets lover, social worker just amazingly high living… but still i needed to find an inner peace. i wanted to better help my family, my children, the call of nature was so powerful i had to know more. My papa used to pray at three to four each morning doing yoga and all. It was great to wake very early at home. but hectic life consumed us. the need to know more about our universe and the secret to life mechanic was arising day by day. Guys it has been only my vrats and naam japa and shatra ki pechhan that gave me the answer to my quests. eating just fruits , roots, milk ( thank you gaw mata for this very precious doudh, dahi, ghee , paneer makhan n all). Giving up onoin garlic, made me very calm, serene, sweet wonderful and understand the real flow of nature and life. Just thank you to all our shatras upnishads mantras dharma richness and unfold value we have such a treasure to dicover even we face each day fast evolution, when highly broken and fed up a hindu vrat is the best to give us real energy and faith to live and be happy ever. to all my best regards and wishes. we build up and face each day with hope and faith.jaisrihari …sathyanarain swami katha is away out:}

Kapil Kumar

33 Koti Devata ~ The Concept Of 33 Koti Devata( From Veda)

The Vedas refer to not 33 crore Devatas but 33 types (Koti in Sanskrit) of Devatas. They are explained in Shatpath Brahman and many other scriptures very clearly.

“Yasya Trayastri
    nshad Devaa Ange Sarve Sama
    ahitaa, Skamma Tam Bruhi Katamah Swideva Sah”.(Atharva Veda)
    Which means: with God’s influence, these thirty-three (supporting devta) sustain the world.

In Brhadaranyaka Upanishad while discussing Brahman, Yajnavalkya is asked how many gods are there. He says that there are three hundred and three and three thousand and three gods. When the question is repeated? He says, thirty three. When the question is again repeated he says, six. Finally, after several repetitions he says ONE. (Chapter I, hymn 9, verse 1)

The number 33 comes from the number of Vedic gods explained by Yajnavalkya in Brhadaranyaka Upanishad – the eight Vasus, the eleven Rudras, the twelve Adityas, Indra and Prajapati. (Chapter I, hymn 9, verse 2)

They are: 8-Vasu, 11-Rudra, and 12-Aaditya, 1-Indra and 1-Prajaapati.

8. Vasus are ~ Earth, Water, Fire, Air, Ether, Moon, Sun, and Star. They are called Vasus, because they are abode of all that lives, moves or exists. (also mentioned in Mahabharat, 1/66/18)

11. Rudras ~ The ten Pranas (Praana, Apaana, Vyaana, Samaana, Udaana, Naag, Kurma, Krikal, Devadutta and Dhananjaya) i.e. nervauric forces which live in the human body. The eleventh is the human soul. These are called ‘Rudras’ because when they desert the body, it becomes dead and the relations of the deceased, consequently, begin to weep.
    Rudra means one who makes a person to weep. { also mentioned in Harivansha 13/51-52})

12. Adityaas —the twelve months of a year called Adityaas, they cause the lapse of the term of existence of each object or being. (also mentioned in Mahabharat)

1. Indra which is also known as the (all-pervading) electricity, as it is productive of great force.

1. Prajaapati , also called the “Yajna” because it benefits mankind by the purification of air, water, rain and vegetables and because it aids the development of various arts, and in it the honor is accorded to the learned and the wise.

The master of these 33 Devatas is the Mahadeva or Ishwar who alone is to be worshipped as per 14th Kanda of Shatpath Brahman.

Anshul

These stupid logics are so damn funny

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.