Bhadrapada masa (Bhadrapada month) is 6th month in Kannada calendar followed in Karnataka. In 2013, Bhadrapada Masa begins on September 6 and ends on October 4 with Mahalaya Amavasya (Sarva Pithru Amavasya).
Bhadrapada masa is considered inauspicious for Gruhapravesha, marriages, engagements, and all other auspicious functions. It is considered as Shunya Maasa.
In Bhadrapada month as per Kannada panchanga Swarna Gauri Habba, Ganesha Habba (Ganesh Chaturthi), Rushi Panchami, Ananta Chaturdashi Anantha Vratha, Pitru paksha or Mahalaya paksha, and Shraddha Amavasya are the important festivals. Ganapati Navaratri utsava is the major festival celebrated in Karnataka cities such as Bangalore, Mysore, Mangalore, etc.
- Shukla Paksha in Bhadrapada Masa begins on September 6 and ends on September 19.
- Krishna Paksha (Bahula Paksha) in Bhadrapada Masa starts on September 20 and ends on October 4.
Here is the list of festivals dates and auspicious days in Kannada Bhadrapada Masa 2013:
- Gauri Thadiya – 8th September 2013 – Swarna Gauri Vratha (Swarna Gowri Habba)
- Ganesh Chaturthi – 9th September 2013 – Vinayaka Chavithi
- Rushi Panchami – 10th September 2013
- Radhastami – 13 September 2013 – Durvashtami or Jyeshtashtami
- Parsva Parivartana Ekadashi (Smarta) – 15th September 2013 –
- Parsva Parivartana Ekadashi (Vaishnava / Bhagvat Ekadashi), Vamana Jayanthi – 16 September 2013
- Ananta Chaturdasi – 18th September 2013 – Ananta Vratam – Ganesh Nimajjanam
- Bhadrapada Pournima (Bhadra Hunnime) – 19 September 2013 – UmaMaheshwara Vratham
- Pitru Pakshalu starts – 20 September 2013 – Mahalaya Pakshalu or Shraddha pakshalu
Next month in Kannada calendar is – Ashwayuja masa (Ashwina maas or Asvin Mahina or Aswayuj maas).
Bhadrapada masa in 2012
In 2012, there were two Bhadrapada Masas: Adhika Bhadrapada & Nija Bhadrapada Month. Nija Bhadrapada maasa 2012 starts on September 17 and ends on October 15 as per Kannada panchanga. Adhika Bhadrapada Masa was from August 18 to September 16.