Bhadrapada masa (Bhadrapada month) is 6th month in Kannada calendar followed in Karnataka. In 2013, Bhadrapada Masa begins on September 6 and ends on October 4 with Mahalaya Amavasya (Sarva Pithru Amavasya).
Bhadrapada masa is considered inauspicious for Gruhapravesha, marriages, engagements, and all other auspicious functions. It is considered as Shunya Maasa.
In Bhadrapada month as per Kannada panchanga Swarna Gauri Habba, Ganesha Habba (Ganesh Chaturthi), Rushi Panchami, Ananta Chaturdashi Anantha Vratha, Pitru paksha or Mahalaya paksha, and Shraddha Amavasya are the important festivals. Ganapati Navaratri utsava is the major festival celebrated in Karnataka cities such as Bangalore, Mysore, Mangalore, etc.
- Shukla Paksha in Bhadrapada Masa begins on August 26 and ends on September 9.
- Krishna Paksha (Bahula Paksha) in Bhadrapada Masa starts on September 10 and ends on September 24.
Here is the list of festivals dates and auspicious days in Kannada Bhadrapada Masa
- Swarna Gowri Vratha – 28th August 2014 – Gauri Ganesha Vratha
- Ganesh Chaturthi – 29th August 2014 – Vinayaka Chavithi
- Rushi Panchami – 30th August 2014
- Radhastami – 2 September 2014 – Durvashtami or Jyeshtashtami
- Parsva Parivartana Ekadashi (Smarta) – 5th September 2014 –
- Vamana Jayanthi – 6 September 2014
- Ananta Chaturdashi – 8th September 2014 – Ananta Vratam – Ganesh Nimajjanam
- Bhadrapada Pournima – 9 September 2014 – UmaMaheshwara Vratham
- Pitru Pakshalu starts – 9 September 2014 – Mahalaya Paksha or Shraddha paksha
Next month in Kannada calendar is – Ashwayuja masa (Ashwina maas or Asvin Mahina or Aswayuj maas).
Bhadrapada Masa in Previous Years
In 2013, Bhadrapada Masa begins on September 6 and ends on October 4 with Mahalaya Amavasya (Sarva Pithru Amavasya).
Bhadrapada masa in 2012
In 2012, there were two Bhadrapada Masas: Adhika Bhadrapada & Nija Bhadrapada Month. Nija Bhadrapada maasa 2012 starts on September 17 and ends on October 15 as per Kannada panchanga. Adhika Bhadrapada Masa was from August 18 to September 16.